Child Employment

Work Permits

Young People aged 13 - 16 should have a permit if they are in part time work.

This rule applies until a young person reaches school leaving age. This is the last Friday in June in the school year in which the young person reaches the age of 16.

  • Employers have a legal duty to inform the local authority if they employ a young person.
  • Parents/Carers must consent to their child working.

How to get a Permit

Employers are responsible for ensuring that children of compulsory school age are registered with the local authority and have a work permit.

The school will be asked to give their views on how the young persons education might be affected by doing some part-time work.

Remember - All employment, which is not registered and for which no employment permit has been issued is illegal.

Apply for a Child Employment Permit

Are we your LA?

Child Employment Permits are issued based on the area where the young person is working.

Click here to find out which LA you/your child works in

The employment of young people is regulated by:

Children & Young Person Act 1933 & 1963, the Children (protection at Work) Regulations 1988 and Bath & North East Somerset Bye-laws on the Employment of Children 1998.

Failure to comply with the legislation can lead to an employer being prosecuted and on conviction be fined up to £1000.

Other ways to get a Work Permit

Download and complete the Application Form for a Child Employment Permit

  • email it back to us at
  • post it to: Children Missing Education Service, Bath & North East Somerset Council, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG

Download the Application for Work Permit