Early Years & Childcare

2 Year Eligibility Criteria

Your two year old could get up to 570 hours a year of childcare, which can be taken as 15 hours each week for 38 weeks of the year (although some providers may offer different attendance patterns), if you receive one of the following benefits:
  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (and have an annual income of under £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit (and have an annual income under £16,190)
  • Universal Credit (if you and your partner have a combined income from work of less than £15,400 a year after tax)
Or, if your two year old:
  • Receives Disability Living Allowance
  • Is looked after by us (local council)
  • Has a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • Has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order
  • Is a child of a Zambrano Carer
  • Is a child of a family with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private or family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights
  • Is a child of a subset of failed asylum seekers (supported under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 - 'the 1999 Act')
Apply for Funded Childcare for 2 Year Olds

Funded Childcare for 3 and 4 year olds

Are you looking to check your eligibility for 30 hours of funded childcare for 3 and 4 year olds?
Click here for more information (childcarechoices.gov.uk)

Further information

  • Once eligibility has been confirmed, your child will remain eligible for the funding until the term after they turn three, regardless of when they take up the funded place.
  • Providers cannot charge you any additional fees for the funded hours, although any extras could be billed for e.g. meals, snacks.
  • If your child attends more than the maximum entitlement per week, your provider is entitled to charge you for the extra hours.
  • If the provider's term is longer than 38 weeks, they are entitled to charge you for the extra weeks.
  • Your provider's fee policy should clearly state the charge for all additional hours offered.